[vlc-devel] Getting stuck in stream_Read()

Frederic YHUEL fyhuel at viotech.net
Wed Apr 4 16:00:44 CEST 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Frederic YHUEL <fyhuel at viotech.net> wrote:

> 2012/3/30 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
> > On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:29:15 +0200, Frederic YHUEL <fyhuel at viotech.net>
> > wrote:
> >> Actually it gets stuck in net_Read(), and more precisely inside the
> >> call to poll().
> >>
> >> Since net_Read() calls poll() with no timeout, I'm not sure it is a
> >> bug. But I have a really poor understanding of that stuff.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to blame the server? In that case, would it be possible
> >> to have a timeout mechanism, like a net_Read flavour which calls
> >> poll() with a timeout? (and the associated stream_Read variant?)
> >
> > Getting stuck in net_Read() is fine if the server is not sending any
> > data.
> > That is not a case for a timeout, unless the application layer protocol
> > specifies timeouts.
> >
> > Of course, you are not supposed to get stuck to the point that the stop
> > button does not act timely.
> > But that is a case for some for of interruption/exception mechanism, not
> > for ****ing^W^H polling timers.
> >

> Ok, thank you very much Rémi.

Very strangely, I don't have this problem on my personal machine which
runs Debian wheezy 64 bits. At work I have Ubuntu Oneiric 32 bits. I
installed the 64 bits kernel of wheezy
(linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64_3.2.12-1_i386.deb) on this machine, and the
problem is not there anymore.

Is it possible that (32 bits) Ubuntu kernel have a buggy poll() ? I
guess that launchpad would have been flooded by bug reports in that
case, so I don't understand... any idea?

Best Regards,

--
Frédéric