[vlc-devel] [RFC] Resetting VLC's preferences for the Mac users during the 2.0.2 release

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 22:19:37 CEST 2012

Hello guys,

as you might have seen, there is a number of bug reports on the forums and other support channels about misbehaving VLC installations on OS X. This especially affects non-reproducible problems with the main window's controls.

Kevin Dean traced that down to the control intf option, which is sometimes set (for whatever reason) to "macosx". That's definitely a bad idea.
Since this scares away quite a few users, I'd suggest to re-enable the "delete old preferences" mechanism included in the Mac interface code. At present, users upgrading from VLC 0.8.6 and earlier will be presented with a box telling them that VLC found old preferences and would like to delete them. The user can decide to do so or go on at his own risk.

I'd like to update that mechanism for the current releases (so users of current releases would be asked as well). Anyone against that?

Best regards,

Felix