[vlc-devel] [RFC] Resetting VLC's preferences for the Mac users during the 2.0.2 release

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Apr 16 10:27:53 CEST 2012

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:19:37 +0200, Felix Paul Kühne
<fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Dean traced that down to the control intf option, which is
sometimes
> set (for whatever reason) to "macosx". That's definitely a bad idea.

The same problem existed with Qt4 (commit
727b24988dd766eac2f8a63f93cf841aba826a92).

This highlights just how bad our (lack of) QA process is.
Firstly, that code should never have been written or committed, and never
blindly copied from Qt (or Wx?) to MacOS.

Secondly, platform-specific fixes should be reviewed for applicability to
other platforms, especially Linux and Qt=Linux+Windows fixes.
Unfortunately, I do not see who's going to have the time, the skill set and
the motivation.

> Since this scares away quite a few users, I'd suggest to re-enable the
> "delete old preferences" mechanism included in the Mac interface code.

Hmm? we did not reset preferences for this bug on Linux and Windows.
Clearing the preferences is going to annoy a lot of OTHER users! Any UI but
the MacOS GUI barely works on MacOS anyway, due to the totally fucked up
threading.

It does not seem all that important to me.

> At present, users upgrading from VLC 0.8.6 and earlier will be presented
> with a box telling them that VLC found old preferences and would like to
> delete them. The user can decide to do so or go on at his own risk.

You cannot detect the VLC version of vlcrc. It's not saved in the file.

Sent from my collocated server