[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bounties for VLC

Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen hugo at beauzee.fr
Tue Aug 14 12:09:20 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
>         Hello,
>
> Le vendredi 10 août 2012 18:38:59 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
>> I have computed a list of bounties from important and/or annoying
>> issues/shortcoming of VLC and libVLC, that you can find on our wiki:
>> http://wiki.videolan.org/Bounties#List_of_bounties
>
> There are a lot of problems:
>

> * Screencast
>
> This bounty is never going to be done. It requires a Mac. And I do not know
> any Mac developer that cares about Linux and Windows. This needs to be split,
> one for Mac, one for Windows and one for UI.
>

> * RTP
>
> #380, #5178 and #6443 are all client issues. This does not belong in a
> paragraph about RTP *packetization*. Furthermore, I do not think we want to
> sponsor work on live555.
>
> #6505 is an encoder problem. PCMU and PCMA packetizations work just fine.
> This does not belong under RTP.
>
> Raw video is underspecified, since a lot of codecs are raw video.
>

> * smem
>
> This has to depend on sout. Sorry, that is a fact, unless you want to fork the
> libvlc API.
>

> * Resampling
>
> Grammar.
>
> Should I stop working on audio sync? If I continue working, I might either
> disrupt the work of a bounty hunter, or help him for free. I want neither.

See below.

> * DVB scanning
>
> This requires Windows. I have done 50% of the work by reunifying Linux and
> Windows. Now I am going to give up on my incomplete DVB scanner since it would
> mean I do 95% of the work, and someone else cashes in.

Unless I missed a part, nothing forbids you to apply for this bounty yourself.
If I understood correctly, the point of bounties is to monetize
boring/hard work that wouldn't be done otherwise.
If something you already worked on is categorized as such I guess you
can apply and stop working for free.

--
Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen
mail: hugo at beauzee.fr