[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bounties for VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Aug 14 12:33:03 CEST 2012

Le mardi 14 août 2012 13:09:20 Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen, vous avez écrit :
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
wrote:
> >         Hello,
> >
> > Le vendredi 10 août 2012 18:38:59 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> >> I have computed a list of bounties from important and/or annoying
> >> issues/shortcoming of VLC and libVLC, that you can find on our wiki:
> >> http://wiki.videolan.org/Bounties#List_of_bounties
> >
> > There are a lot of problems:
> >

> > * Screencast
> >
> > This bounty is never going to be done. It requires a Mac. And I do not
> > know any Mac developer that cares about Linux and Windows. This needs to
> > be split, one for Mac, one for Windows and one for UI.
> >

> > * RTP
> >
> > #380, #5178 and #6443 are all client issues. This does not belong in a
> > paragraph about RTP *packetization*. Furthermore, I do not think we want
> > to sponsor work on live555.
> >
> > #6505 is an encoder problem. PCMU and PCMA packetizations work just fine.
> > This does not belong under RTP.
> >
> > Raw video is underspecified, since a lot of codecs are raw video.
> >

> > * smem
> >
> > This has to depend on sout. Sorry, that is a fact, unless you want to
> > fork the libvlc API.
> >

> > * Resampling
> >
> > Grammar.
> >
> > Should I stop working on audio sync? If I continue working, I might
> > either disrupt the work of a bounty hunter, or help him for free. I want
> > neither.
>
> See below.

Sorry, I don't see how my comment is addressed below in any way.

> > * DVB scanning
> >
> > This requires Windows. I have done 50% of the work by reunifying Linux
> > and Windows. Now I am going to give up on my incomplete DVB scanner
> > since it would mean I do 95% of the work, and someone else cashes in.
>
> Unless I missed a part, nothing forbids you to apply for this bounty
> yourself.

Yes, you do miss something.

I am not able (nor very willing TBH) to test the scanning code on Windows.
Thus I have the choice to stop my work immediately and not get the bounty, or
continue and still not get the bounty because it will (probably) only work on
Linux. So I have an incentive not to work on this topic at all anymore.

The bounty is counter-productive as it stands.

C/C++ software engineer looking for a job
http://www.linkedin.com/in/remidenis