[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bounties for VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Aug 14 12:39:27 CEST 2012

Le mardi 14 août 2012 13:30:49 Steinar H. Gunderson, vous avez écrit :
> I see that few or none of these relate to VLC streaming. Is that
> intentional for VLC's focus, or just forgotten?

RTP packetizers.

> In particular, I'd love to
> see TCP fallback for the RTSP server (right now RTSP streaming does not
> work through the majority of NATs), and cleanup of the state of TCP buffer
> management when doing live streaming (probably due to the clock
> synchronization algorithm not handling TS-over-TCP too well). Another pet
> feature would be cleaning up the various sources of latency in the
> encoding chain, but that's significantly more obscure.

Interleaved RTP needs a redesign of HTTPd. Redesigning HTTPd is several weeks
of work. And then, the Lua HTTP interface, HTTP stream output and the RTSP
stream output need to be updated. And only then, you can start thinking of
adding Interleaved RTP.

As a day job, I'd estimate it at 2-3 months. I'd say that is way out of range
for a bounty. And that's only part of the problem. I don't think it makes much
sense to revamp just one small part of the stream output. At least, the
transcode plugin and VLM are concerned as well.

To be clear, I think the stream output needs a full-time software (and test)
engineer. VideoLAN does not have that kind of money.

C/C++ software engineer looking for a job
http://www.linkedin.com/in/remidenis