[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bounties for VLC

Rob Jonson rob at hobbyistsoftware.com
Tue Aug 14 13:56:08 CEST 2012

On 14 August 2012 11:42, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> Le mardi 14 août 2012 13:34:15 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 01:33:03PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> > I am not able (nor very willing TBH) to test the scanning code on
>> > Windows.
>>
>> Then ask for the bounty to be splitted.
>
> I was pointing out perceived problems. Whether and how to fix them is not up
> to me. Sure, splitting the bounty may be an option in the case of DVB.

Why is there a problem here?

prior to bounty:

you did some work, vlc improves, you get no payment, you get the
satisfaction of improving VLC

after bounty:

you do some work, vlc improves, you get no payment

additionally:
work required for someone to complete the task for the bounty is reduced
bounty is more likely to be completed
vlc is likely to be improved further
someone else gets some cash

I don't see how the bounty is counter productive here; You carry on as
before and are rewarded as before. Plus, you make it likely that
people take your work and extend it to Windows.
In this specific case, the bounty could be split so that you get some
non-windows part of it, but even without that, I don't see any
downside for you compared to the previous case.

Rob

--

Hobbyist Software is a trading name of Hobbyist Software Limited.
Registered office Flat 4 Eastmead Court, Bristol BS9 1HP. Registered