[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bounties for VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Aug 14 17:55:50 CEST 2012

Le mardi 14 août 2012 14:56:08 Rob Jonson, vous avez écrit :
> On 14 August 2012 11:42, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Then ask for the bounty to be splitted.
> >
> > I was pointing out perceived problems. Whether and how to fix them is not
> > up to me. Sure, splitting the bounty may be an option in the case of
> > DVB.
>
> Why is there a problem here?
>
> prior to bounty:
>
> you did some work, vlc improves, you get no payment, you get the
> satisfaction of improving VLC
>
> after bounty:
>
> you do some work, vlc improves, you get no payment

After bounty:

Someone else could get paid for the work, so I do something else. And because
multi-platform bounties are hard and unattractive, the work might never get
done.

You are entitled to your opinion and decision criterias.  Personally, if a
bounty "must work on" Windows, GNOME, MacOS, Android or iOS, I will ignore it
with 75%, 90%, 100%, 200% or 300% respective probability. Then I will do
something else altogether. Admittedly, that is just me and different
developers have different bias. But I think all developers will have some
bias, if only for practical reasons. In fact, I am not the most basied of the
active VLC developers (I don't remember when was the last time I saw a MacOS
dev do something for Linux or Windows!).

C/C++ software engineer looking for a job
http://www.linkedin.com/in/remidenis