[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bounties for VLC

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Aug 16 19:17:08 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:35:20AM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> * Screencast
>
> This bounty is never going to be done. It requires a Mac. And I do not know
> any Mac developer that cares about Linux and Windows. This needs to be split,
> one for Mac, one for Windows and one for UI.

Done.

> * RTP
>
> #380, #5178 and #6443 are all client issues. This does not belong in a
> paragraph about RTP *packetization*. Furthermore, I do not think we want to
> sponsor work on live555.

Why not? Removed anyway.

> * smem
> This has to depend on sout. Sorry, that is a fact, unless you want to fork the
> libvlc API.

Clarified and increased.

> * Resampling
>
> Grammar.
>
> Should I stop working on audio sync? If I continue working, I might either
> disrupt the work of a bounty hunter, or help him for free. I want neither.

No, you should not. If the item makes no sense anymore, it will be
removed. Else, do it yourself.
But, so far, I have not seen any work on the clock.

> * DVB scanning
>
> This requires Windows. I have done 50% of the work by reunifying Linux and
> Windows. Now I am going to give up on my incomplete DVB scanner since it would
> mean I do 95% of the work, and someone else cashes in.
>
> That bounty is counter-productive as it stands.

Done.

> * HDMI
>
> We already have DTS over HDMI. We have had DTS over S/PDIF for longer than
> HDMI has existed.

DTS and AC/3 over HDMI are the same as DTS and AC/3 over S/PDIF on the 3
major platforms? I was not sure about that, but maybe I was mistaken.

> I think the bounty should be per codec.

OK.

> As things stand, you cannot implement any of those bounties except MPGA
> anyway, because there is no lavc audio conversion filter.

The other possibility is to extend libdca and liba52, right?

How hard would it be to use the avcodec module as an audio conversion
filter ?

> This is not feasible. Caching and localization issues are intractable. If a
> genius finds a _correct_ solution, s/he'd deserve more than 1200€.

Price doubled :)

> * Autorot
>
> It's a HUGE amount of work. Just about every codec, video output and video
> filter needs to be reviewed to pass correct information. Then the video output

I do not see why every codec need to be changed for that, but I must be
missing something....

> core needs to be extended. OpenGL could be split out to a dependent bounty,
> but regardless I wouldn't do all of that for 800€.

OK.

> * ARM
>
> Under-specified.

Sure, I was waiting for inputs.