[vlc-devel] "volume" behavior (and I patches that I'd dislike to apply)

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:34:56 CEST 2012

Hello,

the "volume" variable changed its behavior during the recent Audio Output Core reworks.

it is no longer retained between sessions (#7387) and is not initialized as long as no aout is around (#7386).

As a work-around, e2092afc "DirectSound: save/restore volume if configured" seems to suggest to create individual config items per audio output module to store the desired volume level and to recover it accordingly. The attached patches implement this for OS X and include some hacks to let the UI behave correctly.

This doesn't fix aout_VolumeDown / aout_VolumeUp (hence controlling the audio using the arrow keys) if no aout is present, so these hacks don't restore the 2.0 behavior completely. Adding further hacks could work-around this of course.

Is this is the intended behavior of the audio output core? Is this a work-in-progress?

I'd be really thankful for some clarifications.

Cheers,

Felix