[vlc-devel] Feature request: Support for sending in-band PPS/SPS information when doing RTP streaming of H264 videos in raw mode

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Sat Dec 1 10:22:33 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 12:29:33AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le jeudi 29 novembre 2012 10:36:25, Roman Levenstein a écrit :
> > I did some research on forums and VLC mailing lists and found out that
> > VLC used to support sending SPS and PPS in-band before 2010. But later
> > this support was removed for some reason (why?). More over, it is not
> > even possible to enable/disable it using a command-line option.

> As far as I can read the logs, in-band SPS/PPS were removed much earlier:

Actually the change didn't happen in RTP side, but in x264 module:

commit 0f8980274129820bfce1a72024dc1bffbcfd61c8
Author: Ilkka Ollakka <ileoo at videolan.org>
Date:   Mon Jun 14 09:33:45 2010 +0300

    x264: don't repeat headers, we should do it ourself where needed

So either that needs to be made as boolean option ot add code to RTP
output to repeat headers if requested. I think changing the encoding
code could be simpler as currently it seems to work ok if transcoding
doesn't happen (places PPS/SPS with keyframes).

--
Ilkka Ollakka
Modesty is a vastly overrated virtue.