[vlc-devel] Feature request: Support for sending in-band PPS/SPS information when doing RTP streaming of H264 videos in raw mode

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Sat Dec 1 10:31:38 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:36:25AM +0100, Roman Levenstein wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I'm using libVLC (latest version) as part of a bigger solution to
> stream videos in H264 format over RTP using raw mode, i.e. no mux is
> set explicitly. The original video file is not in H264 format,
> therefore VLC first does some transcoding into H264 and then the usual
> streaming of the transcoding result over RTP.

> But unfortunately VLC seems to support only SPS/PPS settings that are
> communicated over SDP descriptions, when it streams H264 over RTP.
> Even if the incoming data for the RTP streamer contain this SPS/PPS
> information, VLC seems to remove it from the stream and then put it
> into a newly created SDP. Afterwards it streams the video without
> putting SPS/PPS before each I-frame. (At the same time it is
> interesting to observe that VLC when used as a client expects in-band
> SPS/PPS in the incoming RTP stream ;-)

You could try following (with new enough vlc)

venc=x264{options={repeat-headers=1},...}

That option came in 0302964780644e1640a36d824176e5d2d0b89b81 and could
provide you a way to set that repeat-headers even if vlc by default
disables it.

--
Ilkka Ollakka
If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.