[vlc-devel] Feature request: Support for sending in-band PPS/SPS information when doing RTP streaming of H264 videos in raw mode

Roman Levenstein romixlev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 16:31:12 CET 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Ilkka Ollakka <ileoo at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:36:25AM +0100, Roman Levenstein wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
>> I'm using libVLC (latest version) as part of a bigger solution to
>> stream videos in H264 format over RTP using raw mode, i.e. no mux is
>> set explicitly. The original video file is not in H264 format,
>> therefore VLC first does some transcoding into H264 and then the usual
>> streaming of the transcoding result over RTP.
>
>> But unfortunately VLC seems to support only SPS/PPS settings that are
>> communicated over SDP descriptions, when it streams H264 over RTP.
>> Even if the incoming data for the RTP streamer contain this SPS/PPS
>> information, VLC seems to remove it from the stream and then put it
>> into a newly created SDP. Afterwards it streams the video without
>> putting SPS/PPS before each I-frame. (At the same time it is
>> interesting to observe that VLC when used as a client expects in-band
>> SPS/PPS in the incoming RTP stream ;-)
>
> You could try following (with new enough vlc)
>
> venc=x264{options={repeat-headers=1},...}
>
> That option came in 0302964780644e1640a36d824176e5d2d0b89b81 and could
> provide you a way to set that repeat-headers even if vlc by default
> disables it.

This is a very interesting hint! But when I try to use it, I get an
error message:
main encoder warning: option options is unknown

I'm using VLC 2.0.4 on Debian. The build is from October.

My command line is:
vlc -I rc -vvv file:////home/marina/file1.jpg --image-duration=100
--image-fps=10 --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=128,fps=12,width=640,height=320,venc=x264{options={repeat-headers=1},profile=baseline,level=31}}:rtp{dst=127.0.0.1,port=33377}'
--sout-x264-verbose

Any ideas why your trick doesn't work?

Thanks,
   Roman