[vlc-devel] report from the Win32 front

John Freed john.freed.paris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 14:03:20 CET 2012

well, I've done some more fairly extensive testing on Fedora and have
concluded that there are some fundamental problems. So I'm proposing a wiki
page that simply recommends installing VirtualBox and Ubuntu 11.10, then
following the directions.

It seems the Win32 build page is specifically aimed at Ubuntu. It was noted
on this list just recently that even Debian doesn't work -- it doesn't have
a recent enough mingw32-runtime (even in testing).

Fedora has the right runtime, but its mingw-gcc is built without
"--disable-shared", and as a result the final binary is different from the
Ubuntu one. Specifically, it needs the libstdc++-6 and libgcc_s_sjlj-1 DLLs
to be shipped with the EXE file to work.

Fedora also uses Qt 4.8, as I mentioned earlier. That turns out to require
only minor patches.

Here is what I am considering for the wiki page:

1) State that the recommended approach is to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu
11.10. Give instructions.
2) Next, give a warning. If you want to build on Fedora, you will get a
different binary. In particular, this binary will require two extra DLL
files: libstdc++-6 and libgcc_s_sjlj-1
3) give the instructions for the Fedora build.

I'm wondering if the problem with the --disable-shared might go away with
the mingw64, so I'm looking forward to that.