[vlc-devel] speaking of translations

John Freed okvlc at johnfreed.com
Mon Feb 6 12:59:35 CET 2012

Nevertheless, there is a serendipity factor from using the wrong list :)

There was a separate discussion about packaging translation files with the
binary, and this triggered me to raise a question. Have you considered
these options:

1) packaging a "basic" VLC with just the top 10 languages (which are well
maintained) and then creating language variants for the others. (For
instance, you could have a binary with the basic 10 plus all languages
starting with A-E, another with 10 plus F-J, etc.)
 2) creating a plugin system for the languages (similar to skinning?) where
the po files could be downloaded separately.

Don't know if either of these is feasible or desirable, but if the large
number of language files is becoming a problem these might be alternatives.