[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Add lua console handling code for windows.

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 9 03:05:25 CET 2012

> > I can conceive that parsing the command line is easier with Lua
> > than C. But I think the I/O should have remained C code. Merging
> > console and socket I/O on Linux was already a bit hackish (on old
> > RC). Obviously, it does not work on Windows at all.

I agree with that design. There is really no point in doing that in lua
(except that Antoine had fun coding in lua).

> I'd rather have questionable design with working functionality than
> correct design and non-functional code. At least we have something that
> works now which can be used to move forward.

No. To begin with, we already have something that works, the oldrc
interface. And then, your code doesn't move us forward but backward,
further away from having a sound design as described in #4455. This
adds more stupid lua code that will have to be refactored, separated,
removed and rewritten in C. We've had enough mess, it's time to do
things correctly now.

Please revert this.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."