[vlc-devel] macosx: remove some more intermediates creating when packaging and creating the dmg

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 2 20:02:55 CET 2012

Hello,

On 02.01.2012, at 19:24, Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 2012-01-02 07:32, Felix Paul Kühne a écrit :
>>
>> macosx: remove some more intermediates creating when packaging and creating the dmg
>
> I don't see the point of removing intermediates,
We share something here ;) i don't see the point in keeping them.
Basically, the folder and the writable disk image removed by this commit are never used again ever. If the makefile user decides to redo the disk-image, the folder and the image will be removed and re-created.
So, I don't see any point here to keep 200 MB of data within a source code checkout which can be well over 1 GB for nothing. Running make distclean is obviously no sane option here.

> neither in
> 0c1d889772c303da34ea305bf808bc03ad5755df
Here's another thing:
When changing xib files, I frequently end-up recreating the non-redistributable VLC.app, so I do "rm -rf VLC.app && make VLC.app" often multiple times per hour. This obviously doesn't lead to the desired effect of updating the xib files within the application bundle in case VLC-tmp.app is still around.
Since nobody ever uses VLC-tmp.app except for creating VLC.app || VLC-release.app, there is no point in keeping it either except for the sole sake of making my life more painful. And no, removing this intermediate prior to every single recreation of VLC.app is not an option for me either.

> IIRC we discussed this on IRC already.
True, but back then, I didn't think of the consequences and therefore didn't argument correctly.

> If you want to spare your hard disk, run make distclean
No comment.

I'll also revert mounting an intermediate disk image within the vlc build folder instead of the default-location-where-every-other-disk-image-ever-used-by-any-app gets mounted, since this just adds 1) more complexity to a build system which is only vaguely understandable by outsiders and 2) yet another stupid folder which is most of the time used for nothing.
Additionally, this folder is pointless, since the AppleScript working on the disk image at this point can't make use of it anyway.

Best regards,
Felix