[vlc-devel] The case for 2.0

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Sun Jan 8 16:05:07 CET 2012

> Having such a schedule shows that you have a roadmap for developing
> your software; it gives your users confidence that this product has a
> future they can depend on. Continuous release of subversions only to
> fix problems does exactly the reverse. It indicates that the program
> is going nowhere and even after a long life, still has problems.
>
> This issue is about your customers PERCEPTION of the quality and
> longevity of VLC; it is not about how much or how little changes.
> It is what your users see about the future of VLC. It is what they
> believe, not about what you change.

<sarcasm>But the project actually doesn't have a dependable
future.</sarcasm> And it's in our open-source culture not to deceive our
users, so you understand that we can't just lie to them and make them
believe all the good things you're talking about.

> It is time for VLC 2.0. It is time to start planning for all future
> releases and updates for VLC. It is time to set goals and targets. It is
> time to develop a ROADMAP!!! It is time to show both your users and your
> developers that VLC has a future.

Already two key developers don't intend on doing that unless we
magically get big funding. So what do you say now?

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."