[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] fixups.h: added an explicit hack so binaries created on OS X Lion can be executed correctly on Snow Leopard

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jan 27 13:12:41 CET 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:49:17 -0500, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
wrote:
> I think the changes to declarations are not needed.

> You just want the AC_LIBOBJ to make sure the function is defined in your
> binary:

There is no warranty that getdelim() in VLC libcompat is binary-compatible
with getdelim() in (new) MacOS libc. And I am not sure that the link editor
is warranted to import getdelim() from libcompat instead of from libc at
build-time either. It might work but that is accidental until otherwise
proven.

> the declaration will always be here: either from system either
> from vlc.

Indeed.

But even then, that is only the tip of the iceberg. Forward OS version
compatiblity does not exist, so relying on it is a bad idea.

http://www.remlab.net/