[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] fixups.h: added an explicit hack so binaries created on OS X Lion can be executed correctly on Snow Leopard

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jan 27 16:16:06 CET 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 15:53:32 +0100, "Felix Paul Kühne"
<fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The main problem I'm confronted with however, is that we need to link
the
> macosx interface module against the 10.7 runtime to achieve proper
results
> for the window resizing mask. This is a well-documented limitation of
the
> 10.7 SDK. Even if you perform the same function calls, an app linked
> against the 10.6 SDK won't give the same results.
> However, using -minimal-macosx-version, a binary linked against the 10.7
> SDK still runs on 10.6.

The point, software cannot work on an older run-time than it was compiled
for. So you have found that getline() was added in 10.7 / missing in 10.6.
Did you (how?) check that that was the only missing function of all
plugins? Did you check that all 10.7 macro definitions and structure
layouts in the system headers were compatible with 10.6? What about
versioned symbols? What about the contribs? How are you going to look out
for all those issues as the code base evolves and as contribs get updated?

Nobody really cares that if a AC_LIBOBJ call lurks in some dark
MacOS-specific corner of configure.ac. But I think getline() is only the
tip of the iceberg.
You can sign yourself up for a world of hurt if you wish. But please leave
the other developers and the non-MacOS-specific code away from it.

http://www.remlab.net/