[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] fixups.h: added an explicit hack so binaries created on OS X Lion can be executed correctly on Snow Leopard

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:28:47 CET 2012

Hello,

thanks for the detailed feedback again. A few comments...

On 27.01.2012, at 16:16, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 15:53:32 +0100, "Felix Paul Kühne"
> <fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> The main problem I'm confronted with however, is that we need to link
> the
>> macosx interface module against the 10.7 runtime to achieve proper
> results
>> for the window resizing mask. This is a well-documented limitation of
> the
>> 10.7 SDK. Even if you perform the same function calls, an app linked
>> against the 10.6 SDK won't give the same results.
>> However, using -minimal-macosx-version, a binary linked against the 10.7
>> SDK still runs on 10.6.
>
> The point, software cannot work on an older run-time than it was compiled
> for. So you have found that getline() was added in 10.7 / missing in 10.6.
> Did you (how?) check that that was the only missing function of all
> plugins?
Not yet, but I intend to include all the libcompat functions, which were needed in addition to the ones used in 10.7. Potential other functions are beyond my control abilities.

> Did you check that all 10.7 macro definitions and structure
> layouts in the system headers were compatible with 10.6?
That's Apple's job and they are usually pretty good at it. Using a new SDK with -minimal-macosx-version is their intended way of including modern features in apps running on older OS releases.

> What about the contribs?
These are compiled and linked against the 10.6 SDK (10.5 respectively for 32bit). That works-out quite nicely and is binary-compatible to 10.7.

> Nobody really cares that if a AC_LIBOBJ call lurks in some dark
> MacOS-specific corner of configure.ac. But I think getline() is only the
> tip of the iceberg.
You're likely right here. Thanks for the note!

> You can sign yourself up for a world of hurt if you wish. But please leave
> the other developers and the non-MacOS-specific code away from it.
Sure, I don't intend to mess with other people's stuff here, so this shouldn't affect your day-to-day VLC coding.

Best regards,

Felix