[vlc-devel] [MacOSX] DMG Image design

Felix Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:31:05 CET 2012

Hello,

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Brendon Justin <brendonjustin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 13:28:42 -0500
>> From: Diego Fernando Nieto<diegofn at me.com>
>> To: vlc-devel at videolan.org
> With the pattern in the background, the icon labels are difficult to read.
>  IMO this needs to be improved.
+1

>> 2. Applications folder icon: I want to put this icon
>> http://imgur.com/666fZ , but I don't know how change the default blue icon.
>

> I expect the Applications folder to look the same everywhere, so I don't
> think you should use a custom icon.
Absolutely. The Applications should always look like the Applications
folder on the user's computer. Otherwise, people can get confused way
too easily. In the current dmg, it our link does even adapt to the
different styles on Leopard and Lion as far as I remember..
Additionally, I'm not aware of any major 3rd party tool shipped on a
disk-image with a custom Applications folder artwork.

>> 3. To change the Desktop icon, we need to create a lot icons in one .icns
>> file. do I need one special tool for this?
What do you mean by "Desktop icon"? The mounted dmg's drive icon? You
should be able to change using AppleScript as well. To create custom
icns with different resolutions, have a look at the Tools within the
/Developer folder installed by Xcode. There used to be a icns creator,
which wrap a bunch of pngs in a single icns file.

Thanks for your work!

Best regards,
Felix