[vlc-devel] Problems with mpeg2 sound encoder

Grant Taylor zl1wtt at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 08:26:51 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I found a problem with the Mpeg2 sound encoder in VLC 2.0.1 where by I had no problems with the older 1.1.9 version from within Ubuntu Linux.

Running VLC at the command line with version 1.1.9 by doing this ,acodec=mp2 or ,acodec=mp2a both work ok, but these functions don't work within version 2.0.1. Far as I can workout the VLC 2.0.1 is using a MP3 sound encoder which is not usable with Mpeg2 video streams. I also get the same result when I type in ,acodec=mpga still no Mpeg2 sound.

Has VLC at the command line changed, when setting up the mpeg2 sound?

Regards
Grant