[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Mark --language as obsolete

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 03:43:59 CEST 2012

On 14.07.2012, at 11:37, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:59:21AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>>> This was the reason it was the at the top of the preferences.
>>
>> If you don't know the language, you don't know how "preferences" et al are
>> spelt. Been there done that.
>
> We have screenshots and such for that.. And Ctrl+P is easy.
>
> Sorry, we have to disagree here:
> I think that having another language in VLC than the one that was set on your
> computer is useful for many people, especially if you are not allowed to
> change it yourself.

I need to second this.

Additionally, the new implementation doesn't work on the Mac. I'm using a German MacBook Pro (German as in, it's equipped with a German keyboard and I'm using the German time and date formats) with the default, system-wide UI language set to English (US). However, VLC always runs in German regardless what I do. This is not the intended behavior and contradicts with every single application running on my Mac.

Best regards,

Felix