[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Mark --language as obsolete

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jul 16 19:07:37 CEST 2012

Le lundi 16 juillet 2012 04:43:59 Felix Paul Kühne, vous avez écrit :

> >> If you don't know the language, you don't know how "preferences" et al
> >> are spelt. Been there done that.
> >
> > We have screenshots and such for that.. And Ctrl+P is easy.
> >
> > Sorry, we have to disagree here:
> > I think that having another language in VLC than the one that was set on
> > your computer is useful for many people, especially if you are not
> > allowed to change it yourself.
>
> I need to second this.
>
> Additionally, the new implementation doesn't work on the Mac. I'm using a
> German MacBook Pro (German as in, it's equipped with a German keyboard and
> I'm using the German time and date formats) with the default, system-wide
> UI language set to English (US). However, VLC always runs in German
> regardless what I do. This is not the intended behavior and contradicts
> with every single application running on my Mac.

Well, the MacOS code is unchanged, so you know whom to blame:

commit 33bc015640f9c99b629f26d95f3ba372e464b44e
Author: Felix Paul Kühne <fkuehne at videolan.org>
Date:   Fri Feb 23 14:27:16 2007 +0000

    * patch by Pierre d'Herbemont which cleans up our locale detection code
heavily and converts it to be CoreFoundation-based only. Thanks!

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis