[vlc-devel] [help]vlc support ape and dlna?

Robert Forsman bob.forsman at ericsson.com
Thu Jul 26 19:48:12 CEST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:42:42 -0400
Kaarlo Räihä <kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2.  I can use vlc on my PC A to play a music located on dlna upnp server(eg. the music is on another PC B).
>     vlc can find and play it.
>
>    But  is there someway i can control vlc from my dlna upnp server(PC B) where the music is located ?
>    I searched something like vlc-remote, but if use it in PC B to control VLC, the music files must on the vlc server(PC A) which is not i want .

The relevant UPnP device would probably be a MediaRenderer with its
embedded ConnectionManager and AVTransport service.

Those are implemented by some TVs (I've seen a Sony) and media players
(like the WD TV Live+).  They are generally implemented weakly (no
trick mode support, really crappy format diversity).  The sony couldn't
even handle an MPEG transport stream, despite the fact that it could
render an ATSC broadcast (which is an MPEG transport stream).

I don't think VLC implements those UPnP services, nor have I noticed
anyone talking about them.

random fact: I wrote software for android that uses the UPnP
MediaRenderer and MediaServer interfaces to make a TV play a movie from
a UPnP media server.  I suspect there are even a few apps for that in
the app store if you dig far enough.