[vlc-devel] uClibc fixes

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Mar 1 08:37:22 CET 2012

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 03:02:41 -0200, Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:51:17 +0200
> "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
>>    Hello,
>>
>> This is a bug in uClibc. If it sets __GLIBC__ it has to be compatible
>> with it.
>>
>> Rejected. Please fix your libc.
>>

> There are too many broken applications out there,

That is the distribution problem. This is an upstream project, not a
distribution.

There is __linux__ for Linux kernel features, __GNUC__ for GCC features
and then there is __GLIBC__ for glibc.

> it would be
> impossible to fix them all, so I have no hopes on getting uClibc to
> remove that define.

That's not my problem. That's a uClibc bug.

uClibc can keep __GLIBC__ but then it ought to define the glibc functions.

> OTOH, that small change, albeit a bit weird, is pretty clear on
> intention and effect, and would allow a lot of people to enjoy VLC on
> embedded platforms.

Since uClibc is highly feature-tweakable and highly feature-variable
across versions, any assumption of a function being supported or not
supported based on __UCLIBC__ is anyway going to be brittle.

http://www.remlab.net/