[vlc-devel] HttpLive: ChooseSegment function

Robert Forsman bob.forsman at ericsson.com
Mon Mar 5 20:49:03 CET 2012

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:39:42 -0500
Łukasz Korbel <korbel85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The one of possible solutions is to make hls-delay value in seconds.
> It will describe how far before list end should playback starts.
> Having such delay in seconds will be more intuitive for user and will
> give ability to control how m3u8 playlist is handled. If someone want
> to start always from first segment it could be special value like
> delay=-1. Imho such flexibility will serves users better than
> arbitrary condition (especially HSL draft leaves such choice to client
> application). I'm able to write such modification if you agree.

When considering how to implement this, consider the use case where the
server provides a playlist that starts at the beginning of a program
that is in-progress (for example, 12 minutes into a 90-minute
program).  A user in this scenario wants to start watching at the
beginning of the playlist because that is the start of the program.
The list of segments will continue to grow until the program ends (at
which point the playlist will contain an EXT-X-ENDLIST tag).