[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Audio: Core Audio: Initialize starting volume for analog devices.

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Mar 8 22:13:41 CET 2012

Le jeudi 8 mars 2012 22:50:10 Jon Stacey, vous avez écrit :
> > We don't document the internals of PulseAudio, CoreAudio or whatever
> > in VLC, obviously. Please refer to PulseAudio if you really care; I
> > don't even know the exact details because I don't (need to) care.
>
> That's fine, but that is not the documentation that I need or am asking
> for. I need VLCs documentation, and there appears to be none (or very
> little).

There is no documentation for stuff that does not exist. I don't think that
makes the documentation bad.

> > This is very well documented. You're making assumptions and they're
> > wrong.
> > That's your problem.
> >
> > The documentation has everything there is to the VLC core volume
> > handling.
>
> With all due respect, no, it is not well documented. Here is the trace
> I just did by hand:
>
> Interface/GUI -> aout_VolumeSet() -> aout_VolumeSet() in intf.c

...is documented.

> ->
>
> 	prepareVolume()
>
> 	commitVolume()
> 		pf_volume_set()

...is documented in aout_VolumeHardInit(). We cannot document callbacks in the
usual sense since they have no unique implementation.

> 			VolumeSet() called as specified by aout_VolumeHardInit()

...is the Auhal callback for pf_volume_set. That is not in the core and thus
out of scope.

> 			"volume" and "mute" variables set/updated
>

> None of these functions are documented.

Ok, so you are blatantly lying and telling everyone that the documentation and
aout core that I spent lots of time to rewrite sucks.

For some reasons, I don't feel like helping you anymore.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis