[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Sat Mar 10 11:20:02 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 09:26:13AM +1100, Xavion wrote:
> Hi All

Hi,

> This is because an inconsistent number of metadata changes occur per track
> change when listening to streams.  There's simply no way of predicting
> which of these metadata changes will be the (final) one that MC should use.

Could you just do context information download when you have metadata
for all the entries that you use?  I think it causes issues when there
is no actual metadata that vlc provides. And I did not actually check if
vlc changes metadata on parsing stage or just adds new entries to fill
empty ones.

> MC must wait for this final metadata change because it'd be downloading
> context information - and temporarily stalling VLC - multiple times per
> track change otherwise.  I hope it's now obvious why "vlc.misc.mwait()" is
> needed!

> MC uses "vlc.misc.cachedir()" to save downloaded image files about the
> current context (e.g. artist, album, track).  Without this, MC would have
> to rely on unreliable environment variables (e.g. "TEMP", "TMP", "TMPDIR").

Seems that you could do artfinder-script or just define arturl and let
vlc handle image storing/retriaval. And again I did not actually have
time yet to check your extension to see everything it does, so keep that
in mind when you read my comments ;)

--
Ilkka Ollakka
Bare feet magnetize sharp metal objects so they point upward from the