[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Mar 9 18:24:02 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 09:26:13AM +1100, Xavion wrote :
> This is absolutely necessary, as anything earlier than VLC v1.1.11 was
> horribly buggy.  Some lazy users might still be running VLC v1.1.10 or
> earlier.  My MC extension tells them they must upgrade their VLC version
> first.

vlc.misc.version() will come back with a deprecated warning.
We should implement a minimal_version maybe.

> MC also uses "vlc.misc" in several other ways.  It uses "vlc.misc.mwait()"
> and "vlc.misc.mdate()" to wait for the new metadata to stabilise after each
> track change.  Using callbacks alone can't get the job done in this case!

This is weird and wrong. polling should not be encouraged.

> This is because an inconsistent number of metadata changes occur per track
> change when listening to streams.  There's simply no way of predicting
> which of these metadata changes will be the (final) one that MC should use.

I am afraid sleep() would be used for polling too.

> MC uses "vlc.misc.cachedir()" to save downloaded image files about the
> current context (e.g. artist, album, track).  Without this, MC would have
> to rely on unreliable environment variables (e.g. "TEMP", "TMP", "TMPDIR").

Yes, this will comeback, and I will probably move it to vlc.config.cachedir()
and deprecate it in vlc.misc.cachedir

> an equivalent in VLC v2.x.  For the benefit of my reasonably popular MC
> extension, will you please enable access to "vlc.misc" via extensions again?

I would argue that it is the best extension so far.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734