[vlc-devel] Dropping DRMS from the mp4 module

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Mar 11 16:06:42 CET 2012

Le dimanche 11 mars 2012 16:46:18 Frederic YHUEL, vous avez écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> > I will drop the DRMS code from the mp4 demux in 1.3, because it is
> > vastly outdated and DRM has been updated at least 3 times. So it is of
> > little use.
>
> btw, is it possible to update the code?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Since JLJ has left, someone else would need to reverse engineer
the DRM format, and extract the keying data from the correct place.

> which users is it useful for?

Short answer: None.
Long answer: You need some keying material from the iTunes installation and
hardware identifiers, and obviously to have bought DRM'd files through iTunes
a long time ago. As far as I know, this code always required some manual
configuration, so it was never widely used.

> how do we test it?

Short answer: You cannot.
Long answer: See above.

http://www.remlab.net/