[vlc-devel] Dropping DRMS from the mp4 module

Frederic YHUEL fyhuel at viotech.net
Sun Mar 11 19:12:51 CET 2012

2012/3/11 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
> Le dimanche 11 mars 2012 16:46:18 Frederic YHUEL, vous avez écrit :
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
> wrote:
>> > I will drop the DRMS code from the mp4 demux in 1.3, because it is
>> > vastly outdated and DRM has been updated at least 3 times. So it is of
>> > little use.
>>
>> btw, is it possible to update the code?
>
> Short answer: No.
> Long answer: Since JLJ has left, someone else would need to reverse engineer
> the DRM format, and extract the keying data from the correct place.
>
>> which users is it useful for?
>
> Short answer: None.
> Long answer: You need some keying material from the iTunes installation and
> hardware identifiers, and obviously to have bought DRM'd files through iTunes
> a long time ago. As far as I know, this code always required some manual
> configuration, so it was never widely used.
>
>> how do we test it?
>
> Short answer: You cannot.
> Long answer: See above.

Thanks Rémi!

Well... it would be nice to be able to play iTunes videos with VLC.

Personally I'm not against DRMs. What annoys me is that it is, so far
(and afaik), not compatible with free software, but maybe it will
change in the future, cryptology can be very surprising.

I wonder if it would be fun or boring to work on that, and if I have
the skills. I think I have some idea about how to reverse engineer the
DRM format, but I have no idea about how to find the required keying
material (from the ITunes installation and hardware identifiers).

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

--
Frédéric