[vlc-devel] pixel_bits and pixel_size ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Mar 19 10:02:08 CET 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:24:36 +0200, Juha Jeronen <juha.jeronen at jyu.fi>
wrote:
>> In fact, I'd argue that the developer documentation on the wiki should
be
>> converted to doxygen.
>
> Mm, for detail type of material, this would be a clear advantage.
>
> How about overview kind of material? For example, there is general
> documentation on programming new modules, and new video filters.

This has not been done in Doxygen, but it can be done. In fact, the
Doxygen documentation, I mean, the actual HTML output documents, severely
lack proper front matter texts.

> There are also practical factors that I think need to be accounted for.
> First, people may be already used to looking for documentation on the
> wiki.

I claim the opposite. Developers are used to look for documentation in the
source code, and are used to reading the source code anyway. The wiki is a
maze and has very little to show in terms of _developer_ documentation.

> Secondly, it's not very likely that anyone will go through all the
> existing material, at least not in one go. I don't know how to
> manage a transition of this size if we need one.

I do not have figures, but I claim there is actually a lot more DEVELOPER
material in comments and in Doxygen comments, than there is on the wiki.
Even if we do not count source code as self-documentation, but only real
comments.

And besides, keeping the quality, accuracy and freshness is easier with
source code comments than with a separate wiki. Not to mention that the
wiki server is slow when it is not crashed and when your IP is not
blacklisted.

Sent from my collocated server