[vlc-devel] How to ensure HDCP connectivity?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 20 17:37:38 CET 2012

Le mardi 20 mars 2012 18:22:59 Peter Tap, vous avez écrit :
> When playing through VLC, I need to ensure that the user is using HDMI
> output and HDCP compliant display. Is there any support within VLC to
> detect HDCP?

The video output plugin can refuse to output anything. It can also and
alternatively requests scaling down to SD though that would be inefficient;
the GPU is usually far more efficient for video scaling.

> If not, I would appreciate it if someone can point me in the
> right direction for any HDCP programming sample?

HDCP negotiation is a matter for the hardware output, not for VLC. You need to
check which whichever video output and/or audio output API you happen to use,
how HDCP is exposed if at all.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis