[vlc-devel] Update on the VLC project

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri May 4 11:01:17 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 09:23:07AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> But I do not believe a roadmap can work in a Bazaar project. It needs a

I agree.

> I don't think we need to change the development, and I also don't think we
> can. If a business want a certain feature on a certain roadmap, it can
> always hire a contractor or get its employees on the task. That's how so

I couldn't agree more.

> The only problem I see with the current model, lies with release
> management rather than with development steering. I do think we should use
> time boxing with short time boxes, so that new features and invasive fixes
> can be delivered to users in a somewhat timely fashion. But then the
> problem is, how do you get critical bug fixed within the time box? I don't
> have an answer to that.

Yeah, I was wondering the same. I have no solution.

> >> How dare you that we lack orientation for PR/legal action, when we do a
> >> lot on that? We never had more PR than this year and we do a lot on the
> >> Legal side: we have taken down more than 50 websites, we have done a
> lot
> >> on the trademarks side, on the patent and on the DRM side: we ceased
> >> HADOPI.
> >
> > I agree that there's a lot of action, I just don't see the orientation.
>
> Say there is no or little orientation. Why do you think we need one? What
> orientation would you propose?
>
> With the notable exception of iOS, I don't recall much contention on what
> the project or the association should do and should not do.

Sorry, we had a lot of discussion about legal, on the trademarks side
and on the scam removal. We have had 3 justice actions or threats of
justice action and those have brought us the VLC trademark and paid for
VDD of this year. We had also quite a few discussion and roadmap to
clear all the legal issues we were facing, including DVD DRM, patents,
non-profit management, codec licenses and other DRMs.

> > And take the appstore: it's good to review the updates to the ToS,
> > but I'm not aware of any development.
>
> That's open-source. You cannot force developer to say that they are
> working on something, or not.
>
> There has been some work if you look at vlc-commits in the recent months.

Yep, and as far as I know, it was more a toy project than anything.

> I must say, I interpreted your mail as an attack on JB's work. If that is
> not what you meant, then it was very confusing.

I took it like that too.

> Guys, the clueless acts of a company triggered the Apple Store fiasco. The
> company does not exist anymore. None of us were ever part of it. The
> developer that helped them is not participating in the project anymore. I
> think there is no point in picking a fight about it at this point.

Except if Pierre is deliberately trying to screw up with me. Which I
really think he is doing.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf