[vlc-devel] Notify plugins

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun May 13 22:59:03 CEST 2012

	Hello,

With the removal of XOSD, VLC is down to four playlist notification plugins:
Growl, MSN, libnotify (i.e. D-Bus) and Telepathy. All of them suffer a bug
that deadlocks the playlist, and thus basically the whole player.

Growl, MSN and Telepathy have had it since version 1.0, libnotify only version
2.0. There are three old bugs for MSN, one for libnotify.

This makes me believe that at least Growl and Telepathy are not used. I also
have to question the usefulness of libnotify since the Qt4 provide its own
notification. Additionally, Telepathy and libnotify use D-Bus in dangerous
fashion.

I attached a partial fix for libnotify, but it affects functionality
negatively. I must say I am tempted to remove all four plugins.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis