[vlc-devel] Notify plugins

David Fuhrmann david.fuhrmann at googlemail.com
Tue May 15 21:16:44 CEST 2012

Am 15.05.2012 um 18:45 schrieb Karlheinz Wohlmuth:

> Hi,
>
> On May 14, 2012, at 10:38 PM, David Fuhrmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I enabled growl for testing, and cannot find any problems or freezes from a users perspective.
>>
>> According to some added debug outputs the module seem to work somehow. But on my machine, no growl notification is displayed, but I think this could be another issue.
>
> if you are using Growl 1.3, the reason is that the method currently implemented in VLC to communicate with Growl is not supported anymore. With the attached patch, it works for me.

Hello,

Yeah, I already thought that the issue could be something like that. Thanks for fixing, now it works on my setup.

While the plugin seems to work somehow, they are a few problems I discovered: In some situations, an additional old item notification is followed by the new item notification, when the new one begins to play. Furthermore, I got a message while quitting.

At last, I just ran into the sort of crash Remi referred to. VLC does not crash every time a playlist item changes, I discovered the crash when there was only one item visible in the playlist.
Perhaps its a stupid question, but could it be possible to work around the problem by delaying the problematic part with performSelector(OnThread) or something like that?

Best regards,
David