[vlc-devel] Update on the VLC project

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed May 16 09:25:00 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 04:11:31AM +0200, Pierre Ynard wrote :
> Also, it is called the Rockbox Steering Board; the term "steering" seems
> to encompass more than sole "technical arbitration". Indeed, I think our

Then, take debian example and the dpkg multiarch decision.

>  - Eventually resolving the technical conflict: sure. I agree that it

That is something already.

>  - Preventing violations of a fair development process (aforementioned
>    in "a few unwanted actions"): pushing controversial changes, revert
>    wars etc. As Rafaël said, maybe the mere existence of a committee
>    would deter outright wrong behavior.

And this is enough.

>    But would judging process
>    violations fall within the scope of this "technical arbitration" ?
>    Are they completely non-technical issues that can be handled by the
>    envisionned bad behavior sanctions? What about the occasional
>    obnoxiously broken commit that breaks the build system, renders VLC
>    unusable, annoys everyone and deters development?
>    We don't want to
>    wait weeks to let the "old wise men" gather and ponder on reverting
>    it or not, leaving master broken meanwhile.

Did you really have the VLC tree broken for weeks? Aren't you
exagerating much ?

This is an alive project, live with it.

>  - I suggest that a couple people be mandated to facilitate a
>    nice and constructive discussion in these cases.

Right... Who is going to do that? We do not have enough developers
already.

> That's just a clarification of my previous thoughts.

And I do not agree with your thoughts.
You mandate a stronger leadership and board of people, while we have 5
people commiting to the project... If something needs to be done, it
should be simple, not a big bureaucracy...

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734