[vlc-devel] Update on the VLC project

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Wed May 16 13:55:15 CEST 2012

> Did you really have the VLC tree broken for weeks? Aren't you
> exagerating much ?

Of course not, since usually someone says "your commit is utter crap,
this is unacceptable, I'm reverting your change right away." But isn't
it the kind of attitude that we would like to avoid?

> >  - I suggest that a couple people be mandated to facilitate a
> >    nice and constructive discussion in these cases.
>
> Right... Who is going to do that? We do not have enough developers
> already.

When there is a fight, you always find people who gather to watch and
comment. Any one of them could step in and say "come on guys, time-out."
If we decide that we're interested in doing this, you can call for
volunteers and see who answers. And if you cannot find a better person,
you can still ask me.

> You mandate a stronger leadership and board of people, while we have 5
> people commiting to the project... If something needs to be done, it
> should be simple, not a big bureaucracy...

Whoa, I'm not the one who came up with the idea of a committee and
a scale of sanctions that need to be voted upon and approved in an
assemblée générale. If you remember, I wasn't too thrilled by that
and I criticized "red tape", in my earlier email. My suggestion is
simple and doesn't demand formal proceedings, just endorsement from the
community.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."