[vlc-devel] [RFC] transform: add motion detection

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Nov 1 18:33:48 CET 2012

Le jeudi 1 novembre 2012 18:15:28, Pierre Ynard a écrit :
> > You cannot assume that the parent is any particular kind of object, only
> > that there is one.
>
> Right, but is there any real chance that the parent won't be the vout
> object?

Streaming output is very conceivable, if not possible already.

> > Also, I think this does not belong in transform because:
> > - Transform does not alter the format while running. Motion needs to.
>
> That's why it triggers the recreation of the filter chain. I don't
> really see the problem with that, except a mild semantic one maybe.

The way it's done is an ugly hack that I would much rather leave of out the
clean transform plugin.

> > - Transform is a top contender for ASM optimizations, that would break.
>
> Okay.
>
> > - Transform only rotates pictures. Motion should rotate pictures _and_
> > subs.
>
> Ah. Is there some place in the video output where you can rotate subs
> (or both) ?

I don't think anything does it currently, though sub filters might be able to.
But the point is, the transform plugin is meant to fix non-top-left-direct
pictures typically coming from cameras or camera records.

Accelerometry however should rotate everything on the screen, not just the
video pictures.

http://www.remlab.net/