[vlc-devel] How to slow down the demuxer?

Frédéric Yhuel yhuelf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:42:42 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:04:37 +0200, Frédéric Yhuel <yhuelf at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I guess it is related to the fact that DEMUX_GET_TIME request, which
>> the Smooth Streaming demux forwards to the mp4 demux through a call to
>> stream_DemuxControl(), returns a fairly imprecise result.
>
> As for as I know, DEMUX_GET_TIME is only used for two things:
> - showing the playback position to the user,
> - synchronizing enslaved inputs (if any).
>
> It should not affect pacing, unless the demuxer is part of a slave input.

Hi Rémi, thanks for you answer.

What is a slave input?

What could go wrong with pacing, then? I did not modify mp4 demux, and
PCR is sent every 100 ms to p_demux->out, as usual.

Should I try to control the pace at the Smooth Streaming demux level
rather than at the mp4 demux level?

Best regards,
Frédéric