[vlc-devel] Alsa buffer duration. Invalid argument.

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 02:00:09 CEST 2012

Hello,

On my Ubuntu 12.04 box, I have installed vlc package (version 2.0.3). I also have my custom vlc installed in a separate directory. The custom vlc is built using 2.0.4 codebase that is available for download.

Both the versions are configured to use ALSA 5.1 surround channels.

When I run packaged version of vlc, all my speakers work as expected.

When I run my custom version of vlc,  I do not get any sound.

Looking at verbose mode, I see an error that alsa cannot set buffer duration. Here is the relevant text:

[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output debug: keeping 6 channels
[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output debug: using ALSA device: surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output debug:  Soft volume PCM
Control: PCM Playback Volume
min_dB: -51
max_dB: 0
resolution: 256
Slave: Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel PCH' device 0 subdevice 0
[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output debug:  device name   : ALC892 Analog
[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output debug:  device ID     : ALC892 Analog
[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output debug:  subdevice name: subdevice #0
[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output debug: initial hardware setup:
ACCESS:  MMAP_INTERLEAVED RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE S32_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: [16 32]
FRAME_BITS: [32 192]
CHANNELS: [2 6]
RATE: [44100 192000]
PERIOD_TIME: (31 185760)
PERIOD_SIZE: [6 8192]
PERIOD_BYTES: [24 196608]
PERIODS: [2 32]
BUFFER_TIME: (62 371520)
BUFFER_SIZE: [12 16384]
BUFFER_BYTES: [48 393216]
TICK_TIME: ALL
[0x7f0c3c14fea8] alsa audio output error: cannot set buffer duration: Invalid argument

When I compare this with the output from packaged vlc, all the lines up to the last line are identical. However, in my case, I get an error that is shown in the last line.

I am wondering if anyone knows why I might be getting this error.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter