[vlc-devel] How to slow down the demuxer?

Frédéric Yhuel yhuelf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:15:50 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Denis Charmet <typx at dinauz.org> wrote:
> Le mercredi 24 octobre 2012 à 07:34:22, Denis Charmet a écrit :
>> Laurent will correct me if I'm wrong but ES_OUT_PCR is the only function
>> that pace your demux calls.
>
> Of course there are case where the demux will be called without any
> temporisation:
> - if the lib is buffering
> - if the input has no pace control (like UDP)
> - if the lib is paced by the (stream) output.

Hi Denis, thanks for your help!

In my case the Smooth Streaming module puts mp4 chunks in a FIFO,
using stream_DemuxSend().

The size of the FIFO is limited to 10 seconds worth of chunks, so in a
sense, the input has a pace control, but the temporizing mechanism
seems to think otherwise.

As a consequence, the mp4 demux sometimes consumes up to 5 or 6
seconds worth of the FIFO "at once", sending the samples to the
decoders much too fast.

And then it could take up to 5 seconds to close VLC, which, I guess,
is not acceptable.

I would appreciate any idea about how to get rid of this problem.

Best regards,

Frédéric