[vlc-devel] How to associate information with a frame within a filter

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 00:34:52 CEST 2012

Hello folks,

I have created a filter 2 module within VLC. As VLC continues to decode each frame, it invokes my filter function:

static picture_t* FilterVideo(filter_t* pFilter, picture_t* p_src);

For each of the frame, I need to associate some data that I can store/retrieve from an external file-based database. I am wondering if an incoming frame has any unique identifier or a unique timestamp that I can use for lookups.

A little bit of background. For each incoming frame, I need to process all the 1920x1080 pixels and come up with some values. This takes considerable CPU time. However, as the obtained values are always the same for a given frame, I am thinking I could pre-process all the frames and store the information in a sqlite database.

I would appreciate it if you could share any ideas that you may have.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter