[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vdpau: link against VDPAU_LIBS

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Aug 5 17:33:20 CEST 2013

	Hello,

Le vendredi 2 août 2013 18:17:22 Denis Charmet a écrit :
> Well saying "This is wrong, I painstakingly made libvdpau not needed at
> link time. I request a revert" is shorter and prevents you to be once a
> again the bad guy.

On the one hand, that is really not what my mail was about. I do not need help
with reverting a commit, and I definitely would not trust the author of this
one either. The mail was about the persistently unacceptably low quality of
the contribution of a certain so-called VLC consultant, and his refusal or
mental inability to adapt to the contemporary standards of the project.

On the other hand, I could have written a mail to the same effect but in
politically correct fashion. I just fail to see the point. It would have meant
the same thing and also have been intrinsically demeaning. Furthermore, it
would have taken longer to write for me and been harder to understand for you
(I don't need to remind you of the inequal command of English among the
mailing list subscribers).

It is one thing to ban discriminatory comments (sexual, racial, age-based,
national, etc.) and useless swear words (à la "Mauro, shut the **** up"). It
is a completely different and way overreaching thing to ban demeaning words and
caustic speech.

> You know that this kind of mails will backfire instead of serving you...
> so what's the point?

I prefer blunt honesty over politically correct understatements, or worse,
outright hypocrisy. This is an open-source community project, not a
corporation. Honesty is *essential*.

You cannot have a working review and functional processes if people fear
telling their opinions or making negative comments. If you think honesty
backfires, then there is something seriously wrong.

http://www.remlab.net/