[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vdpau: link against VDPAU_LIBS

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Tue Aug 6 22:39:51 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 06:33:20PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> 	Hello,

Hi,

> Le vendredi 2 août 2013 18:17:22 Denis Charmet a écrit :
> > Well saying "This is wrong, I painstakingly made libvdpau not needed at
> > link time. I request a revert" is shorter and prevents you to be once a
> > again the bad guy.

> On the one hand, that is really not what my mail was about. I do not need help

tl;dr; I think it was just bullying.

Maybe it should have been about that, as it's reply to commit message
and I assumed it related directly to that particular commit. But seems
that I was wrong.

> with reverting a commit, and I definitely would not trust the author of this
> one either. The mail was about the persistently unacceptably low quality of
> the contribution of a certain so-called VLC consultant, and his refusal or
> mental inability to adapt to the contemporary standards of the project.

Well actually I didn't get this message either from the first mail. So
second miss for me about the content of the mail.

> On the other hand, I could have written a mail to the same effect but in
> politically correct fashion. I just fail to see the point. It would have meant
> the same thing and also have been intrinsically demeaning. Furthermore, it
> would have taken longer to write for me and been harder to understand for you
> (I don't need to remind you of the inequal command of English among the
> mailing list subscribers).

Instead it takes everyone elses time to try to figure out whats actually
wrong in here. But you chose to save few minutes of time for yourself
and let some old grunges surface while providing near zero information
to others (well, atleast for me)?

> > You know that this kind of mails will backfire instead of serving you...
> > so what's the point?

> I prefer blunt honesty over politically correct understatements, or worse,
> outright hypocrisy. This is an open-source community project, not a
> corporation. Honesty is *essential*.

I call those kinda emails pretty much just plain bullying, it didn't
really have any information related to what it replied to (commit).
Obviously something about that commit was somehow wrong, but that was
the only information I got out of it. Otherwise it was just bullying.

> You cannot have a working review and functional processes if people fear
> telling their opinions or making negative comments. If you think honesty
> backfires, then there is something seriously wrong.

Making negative comments or telling opinions is something totally
different than bullying, and can be done intotally different way. And
like you said, your original reply wans't really about that particular
commit so it shouldn't be taken as part of review process? If you want
to think that there is any professionalism, this isn't the way to show
it.

I really look up to you as coder/vlc-devel, but that kinda behaviour
just makes me sad and angry. Nobody should be bullied in their hobby.
Even jpsaman even if he has consulting jobs related to vlc, he don't get
paid to commit stuff into vlc and so can be counted as hobby part.

--
Ilkka Ollakka
A platitude is simply a truth repeated till people get tired of hearing it.