[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vdpau: link against VDPAU_LIBS

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Aug 7 10:10:37 CEST 2013

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 10:41:04 +0300, Ilkka Ollakka <ileoo at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 08:57:20AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 23:39:51 +0300, Ilkka Ollakka <ileoo at videolan.org>
>> wrote:
>> > I really look up to you as coder/vlc-devel, but that kinda behaviour
>> > just makes me sad and angry. Nobody should be bullied in their hobby.
>> > Even jpsaman even if he has consulting jobs related to vlc, he don't
>> > get
>> > paid to commit stuff into vlc and so can be counted as hobby part.
>
>> I have to disagree. Of the little stuff he commits, almost everything
is
>> wrong. And I am definitely not the only person having problems with
this,
>> even if I may be the most vocal (and in this particular case, the most
>> directly affected).
>
> I can't really agree on that based on recent commits. Just checked
> jpsaman commits from past few years. And sure, there are few faulty
> commits (and reverts) but most of the small commits seems ok. Are you
> sure you are basing your opinion on recent stuff and not something from
> years back?

It's been the same, years ago just as well as now.

His HLS plugin is not that old and it was complete crap. (For my own sake,
I ignored it and let other people deal with the shit that one time. Guess
what, they were not very happy about it.) His "enhancements" to the scene
filter are also not that old.

>> Everybody makes mistakes. But he makes almost only mistakes and refuses
>> adapt. That is unappropriate and it has been going on _literally_ for
>> *years*. I don't care why, but this just has to stop. In fact, this has
>> had
>> to stop already years ago. I am not going to stop complaining until it
>> stops. Period.
>
> You have every right to complain, but you shouldn't think that the end
> justifies the means. So instead of being in this cold flame-war stale
> mate position when one move explodes rage and flaming, maybe some other
> approach could be more fruitfull.

Nothing works. The tone is irrelevant. He has failed to up his coding and
pushing standards no matter how he was requested to do so.
After all that time of mine and others that he has wasted, all the
complaints voiced, all the cleanups after his mess, he well deserves to be
qualified an idiot.

(...)
> Would you have ever mentioned that you intented the code to be so that
> it doesn't need linking on those libraries, unless it wouldn't be asked
> that whats the actual issue there? Thats the reason I call it bullying
> and waste of time.

If he had bothered to read the damn source code instead of doing his
typically stupid changes, if he had bothered to read the corresponding
commit logs, and if he had used his brain, then he would not have committed
this crap. That *is* the issue. And that is what makes him an idiot in my
opinion.

I already write longer average commit messages than anybody else in the
project, I wrote a higher comments ratio than most, I wrote more Doxygen
comments than anybody else, I started reviewing all commits earlier than
anybody else. Seriously, the issue of libvdpau versions and linking was
covered not just in the source code, but in the commit logs, in Trac (due
to Rafaël having a problem) and on IRC (same reason).

There are no reasons why I should need to do more than that. Period. It's
much more than you guys typically do (and heaps more than Jean-Paul does).
Thus I am well within my moral rights to "bully" Jean-Paul when inspite of
all the time I spent on writing, testing and documenting the code, he still
does shit.

His behaviour is unacceptable. The fact that he has carried it on for so
many years is beyond outrageous. So of course I was outraged.

(...)
> Do you think this is the way to handle that kinda problems?

Nothing solves the problem that I know of.

Of course, retrospectively, we can say that you, TypX and No_Se (and
consequently me) wasted a lot of time on the style of my mail. That of
course makes it highly ineffective and counter-productive. But I do not
take responsibility for your reactions.

You should be spending time on the real issue of the Jean-Paul Saman abuse
of the trust vested in him as a committer.

Sent from my collocated server