[vlc-devel] VLC iOS ideas for HLS update

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:34:07 CEST 2013

Hey Konrad

> On 14.08.2013, at 14:25, Konrad <mail at chernowii.com> wrote:
>
> Felix.
> I understand you, an update only for HLS m3u8 streaming?
> Better a major update.
Yes, this is what we are up to.

Namely, we add UPNP discovery / playback, playback of audio files, download from FTP servers (and probably also streaming), etc.

> You can include in the update of m3u8 streaming:
>                  open videos of camera roll?
No, VLC doesn't use hardware acceleration and in turn most iOS devices can't play video created with the same device using VLC. This would be misleading for the users.

>                  the ability of save/broadcast (to a server) HLS m3u8 via 3G/4G
VLC for iOS is playback only for now. Streaming should be provided in a separate app.

>                  features of VLC of computers, like video speed, skins
>                  open .SRT files (subtitles) /burn the subtitles in the video
Playback speed and subtitles incl. SRT are already supported. Enhanced support for non-Latin subtitles will follow in the mentioned update (Japanese, Chinese, Russian / Cyrillic and Arabic)
Skins don't really make sense for me on a mobile device and won't be supported any time soon.

>                  open screen://? (and record it :o )
Prohibited by the iOS SDK for security and privacy reasons.

>                  when you open vlc://http://web.com/video.mov it opens the video directly, I want this feature if possible: vlcdownload://http://web.com/video.mov, so it downloads the video instead of open it
This feature is already partially supported with the "download from web" feature. I'm not sure it would be wise to allow random websites to download content directly to VLC, especially since Safari will ask the user for non-mp4 files if s/he would like to open (& save) downloaded files in VLC.

Best regards,

Felix