[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] src: Fix for Mac OS X filesystem filename encoding

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Mon Aug 26 14:57:22 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 06:00:39PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:12:48 +0200, "Steinar H. Gunderson"
> <sgunderson at bigfoot.com> wrote:

> The fact is that it is never pleasant to have your patches rejected, or to
> read complaints about your commits. It makes quite little difference what
> the tone is or is perceived to be. I am well aware that we have lost more
> than one contributor because of that.

> But what is the alternative? We could have kept the promiscuous patch
> merging habits and low acceptance standards we had way back when. The
> current versions would be even less stable than 0.8.5 was. We would have
> lost most of our user base, and probably many contributors (including
> myself). It would certainly be a more inclusive and accessible project, but
> I do not think it would be better overall.

I agree that we don't need to be any daycare where everything is fine
and tandy and everyone can do whatever they want.

> (...)
> > You can say that it is unacceptable to break the
> > test suite without having to resort to personal attacks.

> I made no personal attack this time. There is an unfortunate but pragmatic
> approach that we do merge bad patches knowingly due to constraints, such as
> an impeding release. Asking why this is done seems perfectly reasonable to
> me, all the more when third party reverts have been banned.

I have to agree with this too, unless Felix felt it was personal attack
toward person, I wouldn't say it was not really unreasonable. Even if things
can be expressed either negative or positive way, it depends on person
what feels more natural in which case.

> Really, it goes without saying that one should run the test suite before
> pushing. It adds just a few seconds to the build time.

Yes it should. Any idea how we could make it easier to remember (git
hook maybe?).

--
Ilkka Ollakka
The discerning person is always at a disadvantage.